Weâre seeking a talented and motivated full-time Software Engineering Manager to join our growing team. You will work as part of the engineering team to:
- Provide guidance, mentorship, and career development for a team of software engineers.
- Contribute toward the success of our Product organization which includes Engineering, Product Management, and Design. We operate in Pods of 2-4 engineers plus a Product Manager and Designer, and each Engineering Manager handles 2-3 such Pods.
Pods work across the codebase to implement features, address shortcomings, and answer customer requests. Pods have substantial agency in choosing what to work on.
- Provide technical direction in projects as needed, as well as growing the technical leadership capabilities of the engineers reporting to you.
Help in growing the organization: interviewing and recruiting, guiding the development of the engineering culture, developing processes as we grow.
At our current size, engineering managers join in an individual contributor capacity to come up to speed on the product, team, culture, and codebase. The move into a primarily management role happens over the course of several months. The amount of IC engineering work is expected to drop substantially over time but will always remain a portion of the roleâs requirements. We want managers to stay in touch with the reality of the engineering work and be involved in its development.
Because weâre an early-stage and fully remote company, weâre looking for a motivated individual who can help move the product forward. The ability to think on your feet, collaborate with highly technical teams, and comfort working asynchronously are essential.
- Experience as a people manager: we are not yet at a size and level of maturity as an engineering org to provide the training and support for someone new in the management role.
- Achieve significant business outcomes through cross-functional collaboration with product managers, data scientists, and designers
- Help your team to improve their performance, the quality of their work; make major design decisions
- Hire, nurture, and oversee a team of engineers while fostering an atmosphere of psychological well-being, embracing diversity and promoting inclusion.
- Experience with authentication/authorization protocols and frameworks such as 0Auth2, OIDC, SSO, SAML, and vendors such as Okta/Auth0
- Background in one or more of the skillsets used within Tailscale Engineering; management benefits from having the context to understand the work of the team. At this time, expertise in one of the following would be especially relevant:
- Networking including L4-L7 connectivity, browser and DNS behaviors, BGP and related protocols
- Data Engineering including Snowflake, dbt, Rudderstack, and similar tools
- Experience developing in Go, used for much of the system. Previous experience in #golang makes ramping up quicker
- Ability to give and process constructive feedback, as well as work independently
- Flexibility to adjust to the dynamic nature of a startup
For this position, our target salary range is $190,000-$255,000 USD (paid in your local currency). As a company, we strive to maintain fair and equitable compensation practices within our team across all roles and all levels.
Please mention the word **RENEWED** and tag RMzQuMjE5LjE4LjQ0 when applying to show you read the job post completely (#RMzQuMjE5LjE4LjQ0). This is a beta feature to avoid spam applicants. Companies can search these words to find applicants that read this and see they're human.