Reporting to the Sr. Director, Project Development, the Manager, Project Development is responsible for the development of wind, solar, and energy storage projects in the East region as a key member of a regional team charged with the development and execution of construction of Clearway Energy Groupâs solar, wind, and storage project pipeline across PJM, ISO-NE, and NYISO. The position will lead the development of a portfolio of projects and will work with the Business Development, External Affairs, Origination, Engineering, Capital Markets, and Construction teams across the full project lifecycle required to bring projects to successful commercial operation.
Candidates should have prior professional renewable energy project development experience with ability across project siting, land and real estate, regulatory and environmental permitting, interconnection, and transmission and power marketing. Candidates should also have experience with engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) engagement. Preferred experience developing projects in multiple technologies and experience in PJM, ISO-NE, and/or NYISO, as well as having been through one or more successful project financing processes.
This position may be remote with a strong preference for candidates based within or proximate to the geographies comprising Clearwayâs East Region.
*This job posting is open to multiple locations but represents one available position.*
- Develop and maintain industry relationships/contacts and knowledge of current market drivers, industry trends and competitive dynamics to facilitate proactive development posture and early-mover positioning as opportunities materialize. Preference for âskating to where the puck is goingâ and creating opportunities where few or none exist.
- Manage and execute the development of complex large-scale renewable energy projects from initial project proposal and siting, through to permitting, design, interconnection, approval, contracting, financing and handover to construction and, in doing so, work closely and communicate clearly with internal and external consultant subject matter experts.
- Identify, propose, and implement creative or alternative project development approaches that reduce exposure to permitting risks, optimize development schedules or create additional project value
- Direct and conduct due diligence on development-stage project and portfolio acquisitions, including comparison and prioritization of multiple opportunities based on common siting, permitting, interconnection, power-marketing and other project metrics
- Manage and administer development services agreements with local / regional development partners; manage network of local project stakeholders (e.g., technical consultants, surveyors, land-persons etc.)
- Collaborate with internal Land Acquisition team to perform and/or manage third-party-led land campaigns to secure adequate site control to support generation and interconnection facilities
- Collaborate with engineering team and external consultants to evaluate site layouts and constraints, technology options, schedule implications, interconnection applications and studies
- Coordinate and provide input to project interconnection requests, load-flow and congestion studies, and other necessary aspects of securing project transmission
- Lead or support the negotiation and diligence of critical project contracts and agreements including as PPAs, GIAs, equipment supply agreements, and EPC contracts
- Conduct critical review of project pro forma models
- Lead projects for the Development team through financing diligence efforts to support obtaining cash equity, tax equity and/or project debt commitments prior to start of construction, and at term-conversion
- Support marketing development-stage projects for new power purchase and offtake agreements, including submitting responses to Request for Proposals (RFPs) in coordination with Origination team
- Create and manage project budgets and schedules, as well as lead internal project stage-gate reviews and investment decisions through Clearwayâs Capital Committee
- Maintain confidentiality and sensitivity with respect to all functions of DEI
- Bachelorsâ degree in engineering, business, economics, finance, environmental science, or related field is required.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the renewable energy industry in the U.S., with direct experience in full life-cycle development of utility scale solar and/or wind projects.
- Experience and familiarity with all facets of land development: landowner engagement and negotiation/contracting, title resolution, subdivision, agricultural land use/water restrictions, land (ALTA) surveys, GIS and other real estate elements as required.
- Experience managing project schedules and project budgets, as well as understanding of key project value levers (commercial, financial, etc.).
- Experience managing cross-functional employee groups (i.e., project teams) and external stakeholders/agencies to execute on a project development strategy
- Understanding of the development life cycle of wind, solar and storage projects preferred, along with exposure to the benefits and concerns of renewable energy.
- Knowledge of governmental mandates, environmental regulations or customer/market signals that impact or facilitate new development of renewable projects in Clearwayâs East Region (PJM, ISO-NE and NYISO).
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with ability to successfully communicate in all situations with internal and external stakeholders.
- A high-level of critical thought, a drive to advance a series of projects simultaneously, a capacity to proactively mitigate risks and an understanding of how each project facet has the potential to effect other parts of the project
- Ability to manage simultaneous projects/work streams, set priorities, and exercise independent judgment
- Ability to travel as required (>25%).
- If you donât meet 100% of the above qualifications but see yourself contributing, please submit your resume.
- Advanced study in business, finance, law, environmental science, or public policy is highly preferred.
- Battery storage experience a plus
Clearway will not sponsor nonimmigrant visas for this position (H-1B, TN, E-3, etc.).
Please mention the word **FEARLESSLY** and tag RMTUxLjgwLjE0My4yMDY= when applying to show you read the job post completely (#RMTUxLjgwLjE0My4yMDY=). This is a beta feature to avoid spam applicants. Companies can search these words to find applicants that read this and see they're human.